Health Science & Medical Technology
Is This Pathway right for you?
Caring students looking for a “recession” proof career path will want to explore healthcare opportunities available in Health Science and Medical Technology. Surprisingly doctors and nurses comprise less than 40% of healthcare professionals, while allied health professionals make up an estimated 60% of the US healthcare workforce. Because almost all health professions are experiencing shortages, careers in this Pathway offer promising futures.
Explore this pathway:
Is a career in Health Science & Medical Technology right for you?
• The healthcare profession is one of the fastest growing economic industry sectors.
• Health careers range from entry level to management including both patient care and administrative jobs.
• Students commonly need a science and math background for health careers.
• Compassion, commitment, and a caring attitude contribute to the delivery of safe and effective health care.
• Students can “Earn while they Learn” as they move through the multiple levels of education.
• This Program of Study outlines recommended courses for various health careers
3 Main Points
1. California community colleges offer the best options for affordable, transferable health pathway education.
2. There are multiple entry and exit points (lots of choices).
3. Wide range of career opportunities.
• Customer Service
• Critical Thinking
• Good Language Skills
• Work Ethic
• Ability to Learn
• Math and Science
• Problem Solving
• Asking Questions
Path2Careers produced this video about the Biotechnology Industry. Current information (data from 2014) about employment in the industry is included in this helpful short video.
Biomanufacturing Process Technician
Path2Careers produced this video about a career as a Biomanufacturing Process Technician. Salary and job growth information is included.NEXT UP: Good To Know TAKE ACTION
Biotechnology Industry Organization
What is Biotechnology? At its simplest, biotechnology is technology based on biology - biotechnology harnesses cellular and biomolecular processes to develop technologies and products that help improve our lives and the health of our planet. We have used the biological processes of microorganisms for more than 6,000 years to make useful food products, such as bread and cheese, and to preserve dairy products.More Info
Careers in Biotechnology
This is a "Counselor’s Guide to the Best Jobs in the United States" by the California Community Colleges Economic Workforce Development California Applied Biotechnology Centers Statewide Initiative and Hubs.More Info
Cal Biotech Careers
To learn about the California Biotechnology Careers initiative and find regional colleges with biotech programs in California.More Info